Skip to main content

Veteran and Military Services

SUNY Oswego isDedicated to Vets

SUNY Oswego is dedicated to providing outstanding guidance, advice, advocacy and outreach services that reflect the unique needs of our veteran and military student population, along with their spouses and dependents.   Our staff will help you navigate your educational benefits, internships, networking, and career planning.  Whether you want to take courses part-time, full-time, or need something with more flexibility—SUNY Oswego is dedicated to help you find the educational opportunities that best work for you.

SUNY Oswego is proud of our Distinctions

  • Best for Vets College by Military Times for 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016
  • Military Friendly School by Military Advanced Education for the past seven years
  • Military Friendly School by G. I. Jobs for the past six years 
  • Best Colleges for Veterans among Regional Universities in the North by U.S. News and World Report

Tuition and Benefits Costs

Full-time active duty service members stationed within New York state, as well as their dependents, are eligible for in-state tuition rates. Honorably discharged veterans, regardless of their state of residency, are also eligible for the resident tuition rate.  SUNY Oswego's VA Certifying Official assists veterans and eligible dependents with the process of determining eligibility and receiving educational assistance benefits.

Campus and Community Resources

SUNY Oswego offers resources that are frequently utilized by our veteran and military students.  Staff members have experience working with the unique needs of our veteran students.

We also have relationships with several community organizations that many student veterans utilize.  These organizations support our efforts in assisting student veterans with the transition to civilian and college life. 

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator  and select SUNY Oswego from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site. 

The SUNY Financial Aid Plan (FAP) will provide a more in-depth analysis and accurate picture of student cost once the student has filed their FAFSA, completed a SUNY application, and has been accepted by a campus.

Why Oswego?

american flag

The Veterans Club

The Veterans Club, an official chapter of the Student Veterans of America, provides a friendly and engaging environment to interact with those who may share many of the same struggles, excitement, concerns or interests. The organization aims to assist veterans in any way possible both on campus and in the local communities by focusing on academic and extra-curricular engagement activities. Without the formal structure of the military, the transition from soldier to civilian or soldier to student can be difficult. The Veterans Club aims to be there to assist in this transition by providing support, resources, activities and camaraderie for our returning military men and women and their family members or significant others. 

Staff Get In Touch

SUNY Oswego Division of Extended Learning Veteran & Military Services Ken Cisson

Veteran & Military Coordinator

Ken Cisson

337 Sheldon Hall
[email protected]

Jennie Hoffman VA Certifying Official

VA Certifying Official
Financial Aid Office Staff

Jennie Hoffman

231 Sheldon Hall
[email protected]


Division of Extended Learning

337 Sheldon Hall
Oswego, NY 13126


Phone: 315-312-2270
Fax: 315-312-3078
Email: [email protected]