Skip to main content

Types of Aid

A variety of financial aid sources are available to help you pay for your Oswego education. Aid can come from federal, state, school and private sources.


Grants are a form of financial aid from the state and federal governments that don’t need to be repaid, and are often based on your income. Grants generally won’t pay for the total cost of college, but they can cover a large portion. It’s best to complete the application process early since many grants are available on a first-come first-served basis.


Loans have to be repaid. The most common are William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans made directly by the U.S. Department of Education. Federal Direct loans generally offer lower interest and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or private lenders.


Oswego offers a variety of scholarships funded by the university with help from the Oswego College Foundation, the Oswego Alumni Association and other groups. Generous contributions from alumni, faculty, staff, emeriti, philanthropic groups, corporations and friends of the university are responsible for making these awards possible.

Student Employment & Work-Study

Some students may qualify for Federal Work-Study (FWS) awards as determined by the FAFSA. Oswego offers a variety of Student Employment positions to gain valuable experience or simply make college more affordable. To help pay for college, grad students may apply for Graduate Assistantships aligning with their teaching, research or professional interests.

Veteran & Military Benefits

The federal and state governments provide education benefits for veterans, military personnel and their families.

Office of
Financial Aid

231 Sheldon Hall

Phone: 315-312-2248
Fax: 315-312-3696
Email: [email protected]
Staff Directory

Office hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone hours: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Appointments: Book Now