Skip to main content


Grants are a form of financial aid from the state and federal governments that don’t need to be repaid, and are often based on your income. Grants generally won’t pay for the total cost of college, but they can cover a large portion. It’s best to complete the application process early since many grants are available on a first-come first-served basis.

New York State Grants

To be eligible, all students applying for state grants must be New York residents who either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the commissioner of the State Education Department.

NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is an income-based grant with a possible maximum award of $5,165. In addition to the above eligibility requirements, students must meet the income criteria. If you are a current student re-applying for TAP, you must:

  • have a cumulative C average after receipt of two annual payments
  • be matriculated into an approved program of study full-time (12 credits), and in good academic standing

To apply, you must complete the FAFSA. On FAFSA’s submission confirmation page there is a link to apply for TAP. If for some reason you are unable to do so through FAFSA, apply through the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) provides grant assistance for part-time students enrolled in undergraduate studies, with awards of up to $2,000 which cannot exceed tuition charges. You must be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours but fewer than 12 credit hours per semester.

If you are a current student re-applying for NYS APTS you must:

  • have a cumulative C average after two annual payments
  • not be in default of a Federal Family Education Loan or state awards
  • If claimed as a tax dependent of parents, family net taxable income (parent and student) below $50,550
  • If not claimed as a tax dependent of parents, net taxable income (student and spouse) below $34,250
  • If not eligible to be claimed as tax dependent of parents, but had tax dependents of your own other than you/or your spouse, net taxable income below $50,550

Apply for APTS

  • File the FAFSA, and download and complete the NYS Aid for Part-Time Study Application (PDF)
  • Submit a copy of your most recent NYS Tax return to the Financial Aid Office with the NYS APTS application
  • Dependent students must include a copy of their parent or parents’ most recent NYS tax return(s). If a return was not filed, attach an explanation of why along with a statement of all sources and amount of most recent income.
  • Submit a statement describing how many credits you plan to take for the following academic year

Because funds are limited, you should complete the application process as soon as possible for processing.

SUNY Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

This program, offered through the SUNY system, is designed for students who need special academic assistance and financial aid. EOP is available to full-time undergraduates who have been residents of New York for 12 months prior to enrollment, and must meet EOP Income Eligibility Guidelines. The amount of aid students receive is dependent upon need and available funding, which is disbursed by semester. May be used as deferment if paperwork is in order.

Apply for EOP

To apply students, must complete the FAFSA and apply for TAP.


Federal Grants

General eligibility requirements for federal grants include demonstrated financial need, U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen status, and enrollment requirements. 

Federal Pell Grant

Based on your financial need, this grant is available to matriculated students who have not received a bachelor’s degree. You must be a U.S. citizen, or eligible non-citizen that is financially eligible, and in good academic standing or making satisfactory degree progress. You may not default or owe a repayment on any Title IV program at any institution. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $7,395 for the 2024–25 award year (July 1, 2024, to June 30, 2025).

Apply for Pell 

To apply, submit the FAFSA application

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) provides money to schools for students with exceptional financial need. FSEOG funding does not need to be repaid. 

Apply for FSEOG

To apply, submit the FAFSA application. Because funds are limited, you should complete the application process as soon as possible for processing.

Office of
Financial Aid

231 Sheldon Hall

Phone: 315-312-2248
Fax: 315-312-3696
Email: [email protected]
Staff Directory

Office hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone hours: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Appointments: Book Now