Skip to main content


Federal Work-Study (FWS) awards are a type of aid that provides funds for part-time employment for students with financial need as determined by the FAFSA, allowing them to earn money to help pay for college.

Federal Work-Study Eligibility

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a limited fund that not all students are eligible for. International students are not eligible for FWS. 

To be considered for FWS you must:

  • File a FAFSA application indicating your interest in FWS. Because funds are limited, you should complete the application process as soon as possible.
  • Be a current student
  • Maintain full-time status (12 credit hours undergraduate)
  • Receive a federal work-study award on your current award notice

Check your FWS eligibility, on myOswego, under the Financial Aid tab by clicking on My Award Information.

Accept Your Federal Work-Study Award

If you are eligible, accept your Federal Work-Study award on myOswego. You will then receive an email from the Financial Aid Office that will give you additional instructions.

Federal Work-Study Authorization

Federal Work-Study student employees require Authorization from the Financial Aid Office. This document will be given to you along with all necessary payroll paperwork once you are eligible to be interviewed for a job. FWS employees should not begin work until the authorization is completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office, and will not be paid until the authorization is complete.

Secure a Job

Receiving an offer for FWS funds does not guarantee a job on campus. Students must secure a job. All on-campus student employment opportunities at SUNY Oswego, including Federal Work-Study positions are posted in a career website called Handshake. If you were offered FWS funds and need help securing a job, please see:

Student Employment

What if I do not qualify for Federal Work-Study?

Student Assistant (Non Work-Study) Positions

Students who don’t qualify for federal work-study may still seek a wide variety of on-campus employment to earn some extra money or gain valuable experience. Handshake is our system for all on-campus job and internship postings. This tool is your absolute go to!

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate students can gain practical work experience that complements your academic goals as a Graduate Assistant (GA). Most assistantships offer both a stipend and a tuition scholarship, while some may offer only tuition. All Graduate Assistantships are posted through the Graduate Studies Office at:

Office of
Financial Aid

231 Sheldon Hall

Phone: 315-312-2248
Fax: 315-312-3696
Email: [email protected]
Staff Directory

Office hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone hours: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Appointments: Book Now