What is civic engagement?
Civic Engagement is education for students on being and becoming active citizens in their communities. For students to be civically engaged, this involves an understanding of one's own identity through a variety of experiences where they are enabled to communicate with perspectives and people who are different from them. This propels students to grow in a way that builds bridges across perspective, identity, and culture.
Why is civic engagement important?
Community-based and Civic Engagement in Higher Education have come to see positive outcomes across six key areas for students:
- increased personal and social responsibility
- development of positive mindsets and dispositions
- improved graduation and retention rates
- learning gains
- improved intellectual and practical skills
- increased career-related skills