Skip to main content

Important Information

Here are some frequently asked questions that may help you out:

What happens if I am sick after Health Services is closed?

If it is an emergency, call 911. SAVAC is a volunteer on- campus ambulance service that can provide transportation to Oswego Hospital Emergency Room. If it is not an emergency, you may call Fonemed (877-617-9538) and speak with a Registered Nurse about health concerns. Fulton Urgent Care (315-592-3500) and Lake Ontario Prompt Care (315-216-4036) are local places which offer after hour/weekend care. Students are responsible for their own transportation and any charges incurred.

How can I prevent influenza?
  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
  • Avoid people who are ill.
  • Stay home from work or school if you are sick.
  • Use tissues when you cough, sneeze, or spit. Dispose the tissue in a covered trash bin.
  • Keep hands away from your face. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
  • Clean shared spaces more often such as phone receivers, keyboards, steering wheels, and office equipment.
  • Refrain from sharing personal items such as forks, spoons, toothbrushes, and towels.
If my roommate or friend is sick, can I get them a sick tray from the dining hall?

Sick trays are available from the dining halls and can be arranged for in the dining hall. Forms are available at each residence hall office, dining hall, and Health Services. The tray offers hot and cold food choices, soup, snacks, and beverages.

How do I get my immunization record from Health Services?

Go to the Patient Portal, click on tab that says immunization, scroll down to the green button on the left side of the page that says print.

Can I have medicines in my room?

Students take charge of any medication that comes from home and they may store those medicines in their room.

Can I get allergy shots at Health Services?

We do not offer allergy shots. If you are a distance from home and unable to continue with your local allergist, you can receive your allergy shots from one of our local providers (see provider list below):

Lakeshore ENT - 140 W. 6th St. Suite 210, Oswego, NY Phone 315-349-5828 Fax 349-5829

Northway Medical Associates - 21 N. 2nd St. Fulton, NY 315-598-7105

Dr. Ram, P. - 300 State Route 104 Suite 1 Oswego, NY 315-342-0030

Dr. Sotomayor – 5229 Witz Dr. North Syracuse, NY 315- 701-9500

Your doctor's treatment plan and current injection schedule will be reviewed. Check with your insurance carrier about how reimbursement will be handled. Billing for injections must be discussed directly with the office. Please be sure you schedule your initial appointment before your shots are needed to ensure that you continue to receive timely injections.

Will it cost me money to be seen at Health Services?

The mandatory health fee pays for the health care you receive at Health Services during the current semester. Each semester that you pay this fee you are entitled to primary care at Health Services. Mono, strep, pregnancy and urine tests with a provider are free. STD, HIV tests, and walk-in pregnancy tests are provided at a reasonable cost.

Does Health Services take checks/credit cards/cash to pay for these occasional charges?

We take checks, credit cards and cash. Charges may also be added to the student bill.

Does Health Services provide care for attention deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADD/ADHD)?

We do not. We ask that students taking medication for ADD/ADHD receive their prescriptions from their health care provider in charge of their care at home. Family members can mail their prescription or the health care provider can mail the written prescription to the student. It is important to document current medications and treatment in the student's Health Services health record form.

Is there an email address for Health Services?

[email protected]

Please remember that email may not be transmitted securely. Therefore, it is not recommended to send health records via email. Also, appointments can not be made via email request. Please call 315.312.4100 to schedule an appointment. If you have a question about your health, you may send a secure message through the Patient Portal, or call the health center and ask to speak with a provider.

Who can use Health Services?

Students that have paid the health fee.

What is the health fee?

The health fee is a required fee for all students taking classes at SUNY Oswego. The health fee covers the overhead of Health Services, visits with providers or nurses, self-care clinic over the counter medications, some in house testing, review of forms and immunizations, prescription medications from the dispensary if needed and other services.

Why do I have to show proof of insurance?

Health insurance is required for use outside of Health Services such as emergency room, hospital admissions, diagnostic tests (labs and x-rays), referrals to specialists, and medications not available at Health Services.

Do I purchase college insurance or not?

Ask your insurance these questions: Is your insurance plan an HMO or regional plan? Can services (such as diagnostic tests) be ordered outside of the home area? If the answer to the first questions is “yes”, or the second question is “no”, you should consider purchasing the college insurance policy. For more information about the college insurance policy, please call Auxiliary Services at ph. #315-312-2106.

Do you provide GYN/STD services?

Yes. We provide STD testing and reproductive healthcare for all students. We do not provide routine annual GYN exams or routine contraceptive services. OCO Reproductive Health (315-342-0888) offers these services at the Walker Health Center on Thursdays during the academic semesters. OCO is not part of Health Services and services are not covered by the health fee. Students are responsible for any charges through OCO.

Is there a pharmacy on campus?

No. However, Health Services maintains a small dispensary to provide some medications for students who were seen at Health Services.

Where can I get other prescription medicine?

There are many local pharmacies. There are two pharmacies that will deliver to SUNY Oswego. Kinney Drugs (315-342-6800) or Wayne Drugs (315-342-5666). If you are established with a provider at home for an ongoing health condition (mental or physical) please keep that relationship for continuing care and prescription renewal. Medications to treat ADHD are not prescribed at Health Services.

Will Health Services store student medications?

In most situations, no. The student is responsible for their medication. Please call Health Services with further questions.

What nursing care is provided?

Routine labs, wound care, immunization, and medication injections (Students will need to bring their own injectable medication with them to each visit). Orders from a health care provider are required. Please call the Health Services for further information.

What are the hours?

During the academic year: Monday - Friday from 8:30am-4:00pm. Summer hours are from 9:00am-3:00pm by appointment only.

Can I bring my used needles and syringes to Health Services?

Health Services will accept students used needles and syringes. They need to be in a puncture proof container (accepted: laundry bottles, coffee cans, sharps containers; not accepted: milk jugs). The top needs to be securely on. SHARPS or BIOHAZARD needs to be written on the container with a permanent marker.  Please only bring full containers in.