Skip to main content
Students sitting on benches.

New Incoming Students

The New Student Housing Process is for incoming first-year, transfer, international and graduate students. First-year students are assigned with other first-year students as their roommates in our traditional residence halls of Cayuga, Johnson and Oneida halls (new first year students only), Hart, Waterbury, and Scales. All new first-year students are required to live on campus the first two years. All halls are staffed and offer programs to assist first-year students.

For Fall Enrollment

Students should complete their housing application online beginning March 1. Housing assignments will be available by mid-June.

For Spring Enrollment

Students should complete their housing application online beginning November 1. Housing assignments will be available by mid-January.

Housing Application Process

New Student housing assignments for the Fall semester will be available through the MyHousing portal by mid-June. New Student housing assignments for the Spring semester will be available by approximately mid-January. Once you’ve received your housing assignment, you can start to make plans to move in. If certain criteria are met, you may request an exemption from the University Housing Policy.

The Student Housing application is required and includes the opportunity to show interest in our Living Learning Communities and/or roommates. You can access the application within 48 hours of paying your admissions deposit. 

Before beginning the housing application, follow the instructions in your offer of acceptance from SUNY Oswego and the new student checklist on the admissions application portal. Activate your SUNY Oswego email account and Laker Net ID at Laker NetID Activation.

The housing license is a 10-month period, excluding the summer. However, there is an option to apply for summer housing if needed.

MyHousing portal

Complete the New Student Housing Application.
  1. Login to the MyHousing portal.
  2. Select ‘Applications, Agreements, and Forms.’
  3. Select 'New Student Housing Application.'
Read and sign the Housing and Dining License.
  1. To agree to the terms of the License, provide your electronic signature in the box at the bottom of the page. The License is a binding agreement for the full 2024-2025 academic year.
  2. Select 'Continue.'
Answer the application questions.
  1. Select the appropriate answer to each of the required applications questions.
  2. Select ‘Continue.’
Select an LLC or Gender-inclusive option.
  1. Indicate any interest in a Living Learning Community (LLC) or gender-inclusive housing on your application.
  2. Select 'Continue.' A confirmation page will appear, notifying you that your Housing Application has been submitted.
  3. If you said yes to either interest in an LLC or gender-inclusive housing, return to the MyHousing portal to complete the appropriate agreements.
  4. Students who do not complete the agreement may be reassigned to other housing. Please note that we do our very best to honor your living interests; however, we cannot guarantee our ability to do so.
Submit a roommate request.
  1. Once the Housing Application is completed, return to the MyHousing portal main menu and select 'Room Selection.'
  2. Go to 'Select Roommates' from the menu, select the Term, and search for your mate using the search field (first and last name).
  3. Only students who have completed the Housing Application will be able to request or be requested as mates. Please note that mate-matching must be mutual to form a fully matched group. If your requested mate does not request or accept you as their mate, you will not be assigned a room together.
  4. You will not be able to match with mates once you or your mate has been assigned to a room.

New Student Room Assignments

Students will be able to see room assignments as well as the name and email for their roommate in their MyHousing portal. New Student Assignments are generally made in mid-June and early January. If you have not received your room assignment by early August or the third week of January or have questions, please contact the Residence Life and Housing Office at [email protected] or call 315-312-2246 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

We encourage you to contact your roommate(s) to become acquainted and start planning what each of you will be bringing for your room. Room assignments are effective for the full academic year. If you would like to discuss your situation further, please see your hall director.

Three students standing in a residence hall room

New Student assignments are randomly generated in the housing system. Students who have completed the housing application at the time assignments are generated will be randomly placed. Applications received after the first round of assignments are made will be randomly assigned to available space designated for first year students.  

The Department of Residence Life and Housing will attempt to honor roommate requests when all students involved have requested each other before any of the involved students have been assigned to a room. Roommate matching is completed in the Myhousing portal. The University will assign roommates for students who do not express roommate requests. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or sexual orientation in these assignments.

Fall move-in dates

  • New International Students: August 19–20, 2024
  • New Students in All-In, Be First, and Live Well Living Learning Communities: August 20, 2024
  • New Graduate Students: August 21, 2024 
  • New Students: August 21, 2024
  • Returning Students: August 24–25, 2024

Thanksgiving recess

Thanksgiving Break Dates: November 23–December 1, 2024

Thanksgiving Break Housing Application Open: November 11-21, 2024



Winter recess

Winter Break Dates: December 14, 2024–January 26, 2025

Winter Break Housing Application Open: December 2-12, 2024

Spring move-in dates

  • New International Students: January 22-23, 2025 
  • New Students: January 23, 2025 
  • Returning Students: January 26, 2025

Spring recess

Spring Break Dates: March 15-23, 2025

Spring Break Housing Application Open: March 3-13, 2025


Residence halls close

12 p.m. May 17, 2025

Residence Halls and The Village Townhouses will be closing for the summer at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 17, 2025 for non-graduating students.  

Graduates attending a Commencement ceremony are required to vacate their residence hall spaceby 10 a.m. May 18, 2025. For any students working graduation needing late stay accommodations, please email [email protected] with your request. For more information visit our Moving In and Out page. 

Exemption from University Housing Policy

All SUNY Oswego students must adhere to the University Housing Policy. Students who believe they meet one of the criteria below may request an exemption prior to submitting a housing application. Applying for an exemption does not guarantee it will be approved. Approved exemptions will remain in effect for the remainder of a student's time as an undergraduate student at SUNY Oswego. If the student desires to live on campus, they may request to remove the exemption.

Students may request an exemption when they can provide evidence that they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Will continue to reside with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) within 30 miles of campus;
  • Will continue to reside in their official residence within 30 miles of campus, which is separate from that of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), and at which they had resided for at least three consecutive months prior to their acceptance of the admissions offer from the university;
  • Are married; or
  • Are twenty-one (21) years of age as of September 1 for fall admission or January 1 for spring admission.

Exemption requests should be submitted within 48 hours of committing to attend SUNY Oswego, or as soon as possible. Late requests may result in students being assigned to on-campus housing during which time housing charges may accrue. 

If you wish to be exempted from the University Housing Policy, you must submit a formal request through your MyHousing Portal.

MyHousing Portal

To Request an Exemption

For incoming students, who have not yet completed a housing application:

  1. Pay your deposit indicating you will be attending SUNY Oswego.
  2. Submit a Request for Exemption from University Housing Policy through your MyHousing portal.
  3. Your request will be reviewed upon receipt and unless additional materials are required, your exemption status is communicated to you within 5 business days of submission.

The exemption process is not applicable for students who have already signed a Housing and Dining License. If you are an incoming student who has already signed up to live in SUNY Oswego Housing, please request a Release from the Housing and Dining License, below.

Required Documentation

Reason for Requesting Exemption

  • Commuting from my official residence within 30 miles of campus
    • Documentation Needed: Proof of Residency for at least three (3) consecutive months prior to acceptance of the admissions offer from the College.
  • Marriage
    • Documentation Needed: Marriage certificate (license will not suffice).

Please Note

  • Exemption from the University Housing Policy from the Housing and Dining License may impact your scholarship(s). 
  • If you are readmitted for full-time study at Oswego and are not covered by one of the standard exemptions, you will be required to complete the University residential requirement,  determined by your category (first-year or transfer) at the time of your first enrollment at Oswego.
  • If you are readmitted for full-time study at Oswego you will be financially responsible for the rate at which you are readmitted.

Your materials will be reviewed by Residence Life and Housing and a decision will be rendered regarding your request. Students may appeal a denied decision by emailing [email protected] with additional information to support the request. Appeals will be reviewed by the Assistant Director for Occupancy. A final decision will then be communicated via email to the student.

Contact Us

303 Culkin Hall


[email protected]