A number of Oswego majors require a calculus-based or applied business math course (MAT 104, 120, 208 or 210). Before attending Orientation, some incoming students need to take a math placement exam to ensure they are able to complete these courses with satisfactory grades.
- Your major is on the Math Placement Exam list or
- You are an incoming EOP student or
- You are currently undeclared but are interested in a major that is listed. If this is the case, contact the Math Placement Coordinator at [email protected]
- Incoming students: the exam must be taken as soon as possible and also prior to registering for an Orientation program. Your advisor will be utilizing this score to appropriately place you in a Math course.
- Returning students: A score must be uploaded before you can register. Test scores are uploaded overnight. If you complete the test before 5pm you will be able to register after 9am the following day.
You are exempt from the ALEKS PPL math placement exam if you have completed the prerequisite course with a grade of D- or higher for college credit. While a grade in the D range in a prerequisite course allows you to advance to the next course, this grade indicates that the student’s performance was unsatisfactory. In this case, it is very likely you will fail the next course and may wish to repeat the prerequisite course to better prepare for the next course. We encourage you to consult with your academic advisor in this situation.
Prerequisite Course Credit Transfer
If you have already completed the prerequisite course at another institution, credit for the prerequisite must be evaluated and applied to your degree audit before you will be allowed to register. Oswego must have an official transcript on file showing that you have passed the prerequisite course before you will be permitted to register in the next class. If you need a waiver, please email [email protected].