The big day is almost here! Use this checklist to prepare for graduation and to participate in the Commencement 2021 ceremonies.
Did you apply for graduation? In order to graduate and receive your diploma, you must have applied for graduation. Please contact the Graduation area of the Registrar’s Office at 315-312-2235 or [email protected] to confirm or if you would like to verify information regarding your spring 2021 Graduation Application.
Graduates who have applied for graduation will be able to select the day and time of the ceremony in which they would like to participate, and choose their seat via SUNY Oswego’s Ticketing Box Office beginning April 15, at 3 p.m.
Graduates must register for their ceremony and reserve their seats by Thursday, April 29, 2021.
- Each graduate will be allowed up to two (2) guests to attend their in-person Commencement ceremony.
- Graduates must complete the Guest Registration Form by April 30, 2021. In this form, name and contact information for up to two guests will be required for contact tracing purposes, and acknowledgement that all parties agree to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least two weeks prior to Commencement and provide proof of vaccination OR be PCR-tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of Commencement and provide proof of a negative test in order to gain access to the Marano Campus Center.
- The completion of this form by the graduate is mandatory and required in order for each guest to be granted access to the ceremony.
- Review your degree status on myOswego. Please note that holds on your account can prevent you from graduating and/or receiving your diploma. To check for holds, log in to myOswego, and view your Student Profile on the Student Records tab.
- Check with your advisor to make sure you’re on track to graduate.
- If for any reason you need to change your graduation term, would like to update your name and permanent address, or you do not wish to have your name included in the Commencement Program, please contact the Registrar at 315-312-2235 or [email protected].
- Visit the College Bookstore website to purchase your cap and gown. The College Bookstore website also has more information on ordering options and deadlines.
- Wearing the traditional academic gown and mortarboard is required for participation in all of our eight in-person Commencement ceremonies.
In order to participate in Commencement, you must comply with NYS health guidelines which require your completion of one of the following:
- Upload proof of being fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to Commencement to the Health Services patient portal; or
- Upload proof of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis made between February 14, 2021 and May 1, 2021 (physician or clinic diagnosis, or Department of Health isolation release is sufficient) to the Health Services patient portal; or
- Bring with you to Commencement proof of a negative COVID-19 diagnostic (PCR) test taken within 72 hours prior to your Commencement ceremony; or
- Bring with you to Commencement proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours prior to your Commencement ceremony; or
- Participate in on-campus saliva testing according to the following schedule (you must adhere to this schedule):
Friday, May 14 Ceremony - Schedule testing appointment for Tuesday, May 11, between 8 am and Noon
Saturday, May 15 Ceremonies - Schedule testing appointment for Wednesday, May 12, between 8 am and Noon
Sunday, May 16 Ceremonies - Schedule testing appointment for Thursday, May 13, between 8 am and Noon
Important Event Information
Arrival: Parking and Check-In
- Graduates will enter and exit at the north end of the Marano Campus Center (Zamboni entrance). This entrance and exit location are exclusive to our graduates.
- Parking for graduates is available in the E-1 lot.
- See the Graduate/Guest Parking and Check-In map (PDF)
- Please arrive early; compliance check-in will open 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- All graduates will check in at this dedicated location to allow college staff to verify testing and vaccination.
Please note that your guests will enter the Marano Campus Center Convocation Arena at the main circle entrance (south side of the building) and proceed to their seats.
Remember to Bring
- Graduates must have their printed ticket or e-ticket to gain access to the ceremony and will be asked several health screening questions before entry.
- Please also bring your name card (which will be presented to the reader during the ceremony just before you are recognized and cross the stage). For those who do not have a name card, representatives from the Registrar’s Office will be on site to assist.
During the Ceremony
- All graduates must wear a face-covering (mask) at all times before, during and after the ceremony and while on college grounds, regardless of vaccination or testing status. Graduates will be allowed to remove their masks when they receive their diplomas and as they cross the stage and are publicly recognized and photographed.
- The College Bookstore will not be open during Commencement. Visit the online College Store if you’d like to order celebratory SUNY Oswego swag and apparel!
- Graduates and guests will recess/exit out the same route in which they entered. We encourage our graduates to arrange a spot distant from the arena to meet up with your guests for photos and your departure from campus.
- To allow the college to prepare for the next ceremony, it is important that all participants exit the building immediately following the conclusion of the ceremony. Congregating in the parking lots is also discouraged as we must turn it over for the next round of guests. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.