Skip to main content


Make a Referral to CSC

The Counseling Services Center may be of assistance to a faculty or staff member who is concerned about a student's well-being. If you believe that a student is in crisis (or seems to be heading towards crisis), please call us at 315.312.4416 to consult with a counselor.

  • Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. We are closed for lunch from 12 pm-1:00 pm.
  • For after-hours care, use our on-call service by calling 315.312.4416, then select prompt #2. 
  • In case of an emergency, call University Police at 315.312.5555.

Handling a Crisis

A situation or problem becomes a crisis when a person's traditional and emergency methods of coping with and solving problems are no longer working effectively. Symptoms may impact functioning on a variety of levels:


The person's thinking is impaired; he/she/they/zir is often confused, unable to concentrate and has difficulty with judgment and problem solving.


The person usually feels anxious, tense, depressed, overwhelmed, helpless and/or hopeless. These feelings interfere with effective problem solving.


You may observe the person acting in ways that are not ordinary and may be self-defeating.

How to Help

Faculty and staff can help by recognizing the crisis and facilitating a referral. You are not expected to act as a counselor; however, listening to the student with compassion may help you to assess their situation and make the referral process go more smoothly.

  • Talk with the student, in a private place, if possible. Remain calm and talk softly. Call the CSC after assessing the need for a referral.
  • Call the CSC and tell the office manager if it is an emergency. 
    • If the office manager is aware that the student is in crisis, it may be possible for the student to meet with the crisis counselor on the same day. 
    • If the office manager does not know that this is a crisis situation, the student will be scheduled in the next available appointment slot which matches the student's time availability. 
    • If the student is disoriented or anxious, you may want to walk with them to the CSC (located in the Walker Health Center building).

What the CSC Can Do

  • Consult with faculty and staff regarding any concerns about a student
  • Discuss how to best approach the student
  • Help develop ways to manage emotions about the student
  • Develop a counseling relationship with a willing student
  • Walking with a student to the CSC office for initial contact makes for a smooth transition and helps the student feel supported

What the CSC Can’t Do

  • Call a student or go to his/her/zir/their room
  • Call a student's parents
  • Give follow-up information regarding a student to faculty/staff (unless the student signs a release form)
  • Write letters of support for students who have not been working with a counselor in an on-going therapeutic relationship

Referrals for Off-Campus Services

Call our office at 315.312.4416 and let us know what you need. We have excellent relationships with providers in the Oswego community and are happy to provide you with a list of off-campus services for mental health services, medication management, and substance abuse treatment.

Contact Us

Phone: 315.312.4416 
Fax: 315.312.5416 
150 Mary Walker Building 
(Lakeside of campus)

Hours of Operation

Monday–Friday: 8:30 am–4:30 pm

Please call us to schedule an appointment. If you’re not ready to make an appointment, check out Let’s Talk!

  • For timely updates on our services, as well as self-care tips, follow us on Instagram @mindful_oz.
  • If a student requires alternative accommodations to access our services, please call our office for assistance.