Introduction to the Property Control System (PCS):
- Facilitate proper and timely reporting of equipment transactions and safeguard against loss
- Assist with removal, transfer, or disposal of surplus or damaged property within SUNY Oswego’s campus and New York State guidelines
The PCS is a computerized inventory system used SUNY-wide for the purpose of tracking State and Research Foundation equipment. It is administered by the State University of New York System Administration. The PCS was developed to provide uniformity in property accountability throughout the SUNY system, as determined by SUNY System Administration, the State University Construction Fund, the Division of the Budget, and the Office of the State Comptroller.
This database contains specific information about all SUNY equipment valued over $5,000 and having a useful life of two or more years. It includes items purchased from State operating funds, Research Foundation grants, Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR) accounts, and items received as gifts to the College.
The PCS is designed to provide a reliable means of maintaining data regarding the assets acquired by the State University System. The primary control within the PCS is the asset number that is assigned and affixed to all equipment.
Objectives of the PCS:
- Property control and accountability in compliance with Audit and Control Requirements;
- Improved equipment utilization through control and identification of property that is surplus or underutilized;
- Database for physical and fiscal requirements of the campus administration;
- Asset accountability for increased security against loss of equipment;
- Basis for projecting and budgeting for future capital replacement equipment.
SUNY Oswego Property Control Specialist
Email: [email protected]
The Property Control staff will:
- Record all data on campus equipment with a value of $5,000 or more after release to the location unit
- Perform the periodic inventory (one complete inventory every 2 years) of equipment subject to the PCS as required by Audit and Control
- Act as liaison with departments to assure compliance with PCS requirements
State Owned Surplus Property
SUNY Oswego High Risk State Owned Surplus Assets
Refers to the person or department which is in charge of the equipment, which operates and maintains the equipment, which is expected to pay expenses and/or replacement costs for that equipment. Indicates accountability for the equipment.
Owner: While it is recognized, with few exceptions, that the title to all assets is held by the State of New York, for the purpose of inventory control and accountability, “owner” shall be defined as that departmental entity which is the ultimate user or control.
Asset: Refers to owned equipment, often meaning those items which are listed on the PCS.
Equipment: Any item of manufacture which is durable, has a life expectancy of two or more years, and is not consumed in the course of use.