NOTICE: In light of the uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 precautions, we are requesting that all sites who are planning to host interns consider developing remote hour options for students to complete their Internship in the event that a student is unable to start or continue on-site hours. Please consider any mentorship, technology, and communications requirements that a student may need to ensure their continued success.
As a site host for a SUNY Oswego Intern or Co-op, you will mentor a student using your professional expertise and provide quality field experience for a student to learn your industry. Your evaluation of the student, approval of their academic learning agreement, and consistent supervision of their field hours all play vital roles in our Internship and Co-op program.
Summer 2021 Site Verification Forms Due: June 23rd, 2021
Fall 2021 Site Verification Forms DUE: August 25th, 2021
Connect with Us!
Tina Cooper, Internship Coordinator - [email protected]
Interested in offering virtual, hybrid, or on-site academic Internships? Let us help you develop your program - Contact our Internship Coordinator today with inquiries!
Before the Internship/Co-op:
- Review and comply to all SUNY Oswego Internship/Co-op Standard and Facts and requirements
- Interview and select a student.
- Designate a Site Supervisor to explain company expectations and directly mentor the student to monitor progress.
- Provide EXCEL with an Internship/Co-op site verification submission through our form online. (The student will then receive a verified and approved copy from us within about 5 business days and complete registration requirements with our office)
- Review and approve the student's learning agreement (sent to you by email) and support the learning progression of the student.
During the Internship/Co-op:
- Provide orientation and any necessary training.
- Provide a safe work environment and introduce the student to your facilities.
- Adhere to the U.S. Department of Labor's Fair Standards Act as well as NYS Labor Standards.
- Provide adequate supervision and training for the student as well as assignments that are career-related.
- Provide the student with feedback regarding his/her performance throughout the experience.
- Contact EXCEL's Site Coordinator, Tina Cooper, in accordance to the Internships/Co-op Site Conflict Resolution Procedures, if there are any questions or problems concerning the student, for example, a change in status, schedule, or performance.
- Allow a representative of SUNY Oswego to visit the site to confer with the student and his/her supervisor.
- Track and verify the student's total work hours. Students are required to complete 40 hours per credit they are registered (For example 120 hours for a 3 credit Internship).
- Review and approve the student's timesheets (sent to you by email) on a monthly basis.
At the end of the Internship/Co-op:
- Complete a final evaluation of the student's performance on a college-provided form emailed to you at the conclusion of the Internship/Co-op (The evaluation form will be used by the faculty sponsor in determining the student's final grade).
- Prerequisites: Students must be junior or senior status with a 2.5 or higher GPA.
- Co-op students need to complete and pass GST 101: Professional Skills Preparatory course.
- Students apply to prospective sites early in the semester prior to the anticipated experience.
- Students will submit a learning agreement to EXCEL to become registered.
- A departmental Faculty Sponsor will work with the student to develop a learning agreement.
- Students must complete all of the responsibilities, required hours, electronic timesheets, academic assignments, and learning objectives listed in their learning agreement in a timely and professional manner.
- It is expected that the student will consult with the Site Supervisor, Faculty Sponsor, and EXCEL regarding any questions or concerns related to the Internship/Co-op.
- Students will represent SUNY Oswego in a professional manner at your site.
- Certify the student's academic eligibility to participate in an experiential learning program.
- Verify the position qualifies for our program through site submission of the verification form.
- Designate a departmental Faculty Sponsor to advise the student.
- Confer with site personnel concerning Intern and Co-op performance issues.
- Evaluate program progress through virtual communication and site visits.
- Confer a final grade based on the final evaluation from the site.
- Maintain the confidentiality of any information designated by the site as confidential.
- Notify the site of any change in the student's eligibility, status, or field of study.
- Enforce any additional rules or practices that are mutually agreed upon between the college and site.
- Ensure students are aware of the Code of Student's Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct in SUNY Oswego's Student Handbook and should adhere to those guidelines.
To join our On-Campus Internships ListServ for Supervisors, please contact [email protected].