We look forward to welcoming the registered guests of graduates to join the campus community as we celebrate this milestone moment for the graduating Class of 2021. Here is important information guests should know:
- Each graduate will be allowed up to two (2) guests to attend their in-person Commencement ceremony.
- Graduates must register their guests through the Guest Registration Form, which graduates will receive upon selecting their ceremony and securing their ticket. See information below.
- All guests must comply with NYS Health Guidelines and provide proof of completion. See information below.
Event Requirements for Guests
The following steps must be completed in order to attend Commencement. Failure to comply with these requirements and guidelines will result in the college having to turn people away.
1. Guest Registration Required
- All graduates must complete the Guest Registration Form, which they will receive upon selecting their ceremony and securing their ticket. In this form, name and contact information of up to two guests will be required for contact tracing purposes.
- The Guest Registration Form must be completed by April 30, 2021. The completion of this form by the graduate is mandatory and required in order for each guest to be granted access to the ceremony.
- Guests must be at least 5 years old and will be counted as a guest requiring a seat. Children are also required to meet the required vaccination and/or testing guidelines. Small children/babies in arms will not be permitted.
2. NYS Health Guideline Compliance
In order to attend Commencement, you must comply with NYS health guidelines which require completion of the following precautions. Guests will not be admitted if they do not comply with at least one of the below guidelines.
Guests must bring a photo ID as well as one of the following items at check-in:
- Proof of being fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to Commencement; (must contain name and date/s); or
- Proof of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis made between February 14, 2021 and May 1, 2021 (physician or clinic diagnosis, or Department of Health isolation or release order is sufficient); or
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 diagnostic (PCR) test taken within 72 hours prior to the Commencement ceremony; or
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours prior to the Commencement ceremony.
For questions regarding any of the above compliance requirements, please email [email protected].
Important Day-of Event Information
- Guests will be asked to enter and exit at the Marano Campus Center main circle entrance. This entrance and exit location is exclusive to our Commencement guests. (Students will enter at a separate location.)
- Parking for guests is available in the adjacent C-8 lots (near Shineman Center).
See Parking and Check-in Map
- Guest check-in at this location will open 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Please note access to the building will be very limited.
- Guests must bring photo ID with them to check-in regardless of whether or not you have provided vaccination or testing information in advance.
- All guests will be checked in at a Guest Entrance tent (outside the Marano Campus Center main circle entrance) to allow college staff to verify their names are “on the list”. There are no tickets needed for entry
- Proof of vaccination and/or a negative COVID test (for those who have not provided verification in advance) is required for access to the building/ceremony. Please see the NYS Health Guideline Compliance section above for specifics.
- Guest check-in will open 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Please bring an umbrella in case of inclement weather.
- Seating for guests in the Convocation Arena will be general admission and granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Seats for guests will be sectioned off to allow for maximum social distancing, health and safety.
- No food or drink will be permitted in the Marano Campus Center or Convocation Arena during any of the ceremonies.
- Restrooms will be available for guests inside the arena, although access is limited due to health guidelines for holding large-scale events.
- The College Bookstore will not be open during Commencement. Visit the online College Store if you’d like to order celebratory SUNY Oswego swag and apparel!
All guests must wear a face-covering (mask) at all times before, during and after the ceremony and while on college grounds, regardless of vaccination or testing status
At the conclusion of each Commencement ceremony, students and guests will recess/exit out the same route in which they entered. We encourage our guests to arrange a spot distant from the arena to meet up with your graduate for photos and your departure from campus.
To allow the college to prepare for the next ceremony, it is important that all participants exit the building immediately following the conclusion of the ceremony. Congregating in the parking lots is also discouraged as we must turn it over for the next round of guests. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
- We are asking our graduates and guests to please not over strain the college’s resources during these important Commencement ceremonies. Please limit guests coming to Oswego to the two (2) guests who will be attending the ceremony. We strongly discourage any people sitting in cars, wandering the campus or waiting in residence hall rooms during each ceremony.
- All Commencement ceremonies will be live-streamed via the SUNY Oswego website so other family and friends can watch in their homes—away from campus.
- The occurrence of all Commencement activities, including the presence of guests at each ceremony, are dependent on New York State health, safety and capacity guidelines in place at the time of the event.