Dr. Sharon Elizabeth Blanton, combining strong problem solving, agility, communication, and thought-leader acumen, Dr. Blanton has a significant track record of success in IT service delivery, instructional programs delivery, customer outreach, business process reengineering, project management, and productivity turnarounds. Dr. Blanton provides outstanding performance in recruiting, training and leading teams to peak performance and organizational success.
Currently the Vice President for Operations at The College of New Jersey, Dr. Blanton has extensive experience directing and managing all aspects of Facilities Administration, Campus Planning, Building Services, IT planning, service delivery, and operations within highly complex environments. Experience includes:
- Overseeing multi-million dollar capital and operating budgets earmarked
- for enhancement of technology services and infrastructure serving more than 60,000 clients.
- Serving on key enterprise-wide committees, including Strategic Planning,
- Business Intelligence, Policy, Academic Information Technologies, Budget Planning, Emergency Communications, and Campus Public Safety and Security.
- Orchestrating key activities of online learning, institutional research,
- College-wide infrastructures, and regulatory compliance
A 2005 graduate of the EDUCAUSE Frye Leadership Institute, Dr. Blanton has contributed to the higher education community via leadership roles in numerous organizations such as NJ ACE Women’s Network, NJEdge, The New Jersey Big Data Alliance, EDUCAUSE, Hawaii Information Communication and Technology Association, Organization for Educational Technology and Curriculum, and the Northwest Academic Computing Consortium and has mentored graduate students at Portland State University and Capella University. A frequent collaborator with The Center for Higher Education CIO Studies, Dr. Blanton has taught and mentored dozens of aspiring higher education technology leaders, many of whom have gone on to serve as successful CIOs.
She holds a Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration from Capella University, a M.Ed. in Instructional Technology from the University of Virginia, and a B.A. in Mass Communication and Instructional Technology from Towson State University. Sharon previously served as CIO for The College of New Jersey, Hawaii Pacific University, Portland State University, the Pima Community College District, and Scottsdale Community College.