Skip to main content

Trans Student Resources and Services

Being trans can offer unique challenges when it comes to navigating different policies and campus offices. Below are some resources intended to assist in that process. Note: for local, off-campus healthcare providers, therapists, and lawyers, check out Accept Oswego's list of Oswego County Resources.

Name Changes

If you have legally changed your name, you can submit a Name Change form to the Registrar.

  • Once your name is updated in the system, it may take some time to be updated for various departments and units on campus (Parking, Library, Health Center, etc.).
  • For a new ID card, you can contact the the ID Services office once you have made the change with the Registrar.

If you haven't legally changed your name, you might want to review the Preferred Name Policy and submit a request form. Any questions about this policy can be directed to the Title IX Coordinator.

If you have changed your legal name with the Registrar, you can contact CTS Help Desk ([email protected] or 315-312-3546) to request a new email address. Your old email address will be set up to forward to your new one. If you haven't legally changed your name, you can get a new email address that better aligns with your identity under the Preferred Name Policy. Your LakerNet ID will remain the same, however. If people have contacted you using the old email address in the past, it will remain in their contacts unless they manually delete it.


Rooms and Accommodations
The college has a limited number of single rooms in Lonis Hall available to graduate students and upperclassmen. The Village Townhouses offer single bedrooms, with shared bathrooms that are closed off into three sections (shower, toilet, and sink areas); this housing is for juniors and above. Waterbury Hall and Scales Hall have individual bathrooms. 

Students are usually assigned to rooms by their legal gender, but Res Life will accommodate requests from trans students to be housed as the gender they identify with. For more information or to make a request, you should contact Res Life. 

Changing your room
Generally, the college does not allow you to change rooms in the middle of the year. If you are having an issue that can't be resolved with your room assignment, you will have to speak first with your resident assistant, resident mentor, or graduate resident mentor. If this does not resolve your problem, you can go to your residence hall director for additional help or to get advice on the next steps.

Right to live in a secure environment
According to the ResLife's Student Rights and Responsibilities document, you have the right to live in a secure environment and to be free from intimidation or harassment. If you feel this right is being violated, contact your resident assistant, resident mentor, graduate resident mentor, or hall director. Remember you can check your Resident Student Handbook for policies. If you need to contact ResLife directly, their email address is [email protected].


At SUNY Oswego, individuals are free to use restrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identity or expression. If your rights in this area are challenged or denied, contact the Title IX Coordinator.

On-campus unisex and all-gender restroom locations

Funnelle Hall
1st Floor: All gender restroom

King Alumni Hall
Basement: All gender restroom
1st Floor: All gender restroom
2nd Floor: All gender restroom

Laker Hall
2nd Floor: All gender restroom

Lanigan Hall
Basement, Room R3: All gender restroom

Marano Campus Center
1st Floor, Rooms 147B and 147E: Two all gender restrooms

Mary Walker Health Center
1st Floor, Rooms 102, 108, 151, 134B, 121B: Five all gender restrooms

Onondaga Hall
Suites have single occupancy restrooms

Penfield Library
Basement, Room B1 (next to EOP office): All gender restroom

Rich Hall
3rd Floor, Dean’s office, to the left when you walk in: All gender restroom

Riggs Hall
Basement, Rooms B16 and B18: Two all gender restrooms

Scales Hall
All floors: Single occupancy restrooms

Seneca Hall
Basement: Two all gender restrooms

Sheldon Hall
3rd Floor, Near Extended Learning: All gender restroom

Tyler Hall
Basement, Rooms T1, T4-10

Waterbury Hall
1st Floor

Wilbur Hall
2nd Floor, Rooms 237 and 238: Two all gender restrooms
3rd Floor, Rooms 322 and 323: Two all gender restrooms

Building 20 (Sustainability Office)
Three all gender restrooms

Waste baskets can be found in the stalls of the men's rooms in Funnelle, MCC, and the Library. Additional restrooms are being added and this list may not be all inclusive.

Mental Health Support

The on-campus Counseling Center offers free counseling to students. There are group counseling sessions, including support groups. Check the schedule on the website for more details about group sessions. We offer short-term counseling, and, on average, students attend 4-6 sessions per semester, but there is not a session limit. If you are in need of more long-term care, the counselor will work with you to find off-campus help. 

Medical Care

Campus Health Services (in Walker Health Center Building on Lakeside) can start patients on hormones. If you have already started hormone therapy and have a prescription, the Health Center can refill it and can help make adjustments to your therapy if needed. 

Health Services respects chosen names and will include this in your electronic health records. There are also three all-gender restrooms available in the health center with plans to make more available soon.

Be sure to check out this Transgender Care resource page developed by Campus Health Services.