Study carrels provide students, faculty, and professional staff with space in the library for their study and research. The library has two types of study carrels available:
- Semester carrels are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and can be used for the entire semester. You can apply for a semester carrel by clicking on the button above.
- Day carrels are available on the 2nd floor, and can be "checked out" for a single day. To see if day carrels are available, visit the Check-Out & Reserves Desk.
Semester Carrel Registration
Study carrel registration begins at 8:00 am on the first day of classes (during the fall and spring semesters). Please read the information on this page before you apply.
- You will not be able to apply on behalf of anyone but yourself.
- We will give priority to commuter students.
- We will process applications in the order we receive them. Be aware that sometimes registration from phones doesn't go through right away due to poor reception.
Note: The application form will not work until 8:00 am on the first day of classes and will be disabled once all carrels have been checked out.
- Semester Carrels are assigned for one semester. We will email you with information about your carrel assignment, and to explain how to pick up the key to your carrel. You'll keep the key for the whole semester.
- Make sure you carry your key with you when you need to get into your carrel; we don't have duplicates!
- Carrel keys should be returned by 4:00 pm on the last day of the semester. We'll email you to check in if you miss that deadline, but if we don't hear back we have to assume the key is lost.
- There's a $25.00 replacement fee if your key is lost, and you won't be able to access the carrel until a replacement key can be made.
Follow these policies to retain your right to check out a study carrel:
- Only checked-out materials may be left in carrels. Although the library will make every effort to respect your privacy, carrels are checked occasionally for missing library materials or routine maintenance.
- You are responsible for removing food and waste from your carrel. Trash containers are located nearby.
- If you want extra chairs or other furnishings in your carrel, please bring your own. Library furnishings from public areas must stay in public areas (not your carrel).
- The Library is not responsible for personal belongings left in the carrels.