Also see our alignment with SUNY Oswego's institutional priorities.
We actively contribute to enhancing the intellectual growth, creativity, and well-being of our community. We recognize and respect the diverse and changing needs of our students, staff, and faculty; we shape our collections, services, and programs to empower our users.
We believe that people are the key to a vital and purposeful library. To that end:
- We will excel at connecting people to a broad range of ideas and empowering them to be thoughtful users and creators of knowledge.
- We will build and strengthen partnerships with the community in order to maximize opportunities for learning through creativity and innovation.
- We will welcome and celebrate underrepresented voices in our community of personnel and users by showcasing them in our collections, services, and programs.
- We will cultivate a welcoming and inclusive environment in all our physical and virtual spaces.
- Respect: Penfield Library is dedicated to providing a user-centered experience where all members of the campus and community at large feel comfortable, heard, and dignified.
Responsibility: Penfield Library promotes the ethical and responsible use of information. We support this goal through our instructional and reference services, and in collaboration with campus partners.
We also recognize our own responsibility in providing good stewardship. This means that in addition to developing a diverse collection of resources, we will protect, preserve and celebrate the collections that are uniquely Oswego.
- Collaboration: Penfield Library actively engages and collaborates with all disciplines and departments of the campus community. We believe that interdisciplinary participation from all levels of the university leads to greater success and knowledge creation. Penfield Library strives to empower our community and encourage participation and leadership from all.
- Diversity: Penfield Library believes that diverse voices and perspectives contribute to a richer and fuller community. As such, we are committed to providing equitable access to all users, and addressing any challenges to full access. We strive to develop and maintain collections that reflect a variety of experiences and perspectives.
- Learning: Penfield Library supports the educational mission of the university by fostering curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking. Instruction and our other activities focus on empowering users to be active participants in their own learning. Our collections, technology, and other resources are provided as tools to encourage intellectual exploration.