Skip to main content
Three students sitting outside on a bench

Student Housing

Please read the University Housing Policy below carefully before applying for housing. All SUNY Oswego students must adhere to this policy. Contact Residence Life and Housing with any questions at 315-312-2246 or by emailing [email protected].

University Housing Policy

New Students

The New Student Housing Process is for incoming first-year, transfer, and graduate students.

First-year students are assigned with other first-year students as their roommates in our traditional residence halls of Johnson and Oneida halls (new first year students only), Seneca, Cayuga, Waterbury, and Scales. All new first-year students are required to live on campus the first two years. All halls are staffed and offer programs to assist first-year students.

Housing Application Process

Returning Students

All current students may participate in the Room Selection Process starting in the spring semester. This online process allows students to reserve their residence for the upcoming academic year.

The room selection process is facilitated by a weighted lottery system. Students are assigned lottery numbers based on their class year and determine each student’s order for choosing from available rooms. Participation in the room selection process requires acceptance of the Housing and Dining License and any applicable agreements. Onondaga Hall and The Village have eligibility guidelines for the community.

A student in her room, sitting on her bed looking at her laptop

Housing Priority

Returning students that would like priority within their class year during the housing selection lotteries may complete their Housing Application during the fall semester at MyOswego

Room Selection

Select a room in one of the residence halls or, if eligible, in the Village Townhouse community for the upcoming academic year.

Room Selection

Transfer Students

Transfer students are traditionally assigned to upper-division housing with other returning students. Traditional corridor double rooms, suite, apartment-style housing and a limited number of single rooms are available for transfer students. All new transfer students are required to live on campus their first year.

Housing Application Process

International students sitting in a residence hall lounge

International Student Housing

Hart Hall Global Living and Learning Center is home to many of SUNY Oswego’s degree seeking and exchange international students. The Global Living and Learning Center provides a unique residential experience that allows our international students to be immersed in an inclusive community focused on student academic and personal success and supportive of the transition to campus. 

The Global Living and Learning Center is also home to Faculty Resident Mentors. FRMs are university faculty living in Hart Hall to support students in connecting with the university community and learning about the global world.

Housing Application Process Room Selection

Housing Application Process

Housing Assignments for the Fall semester will be available through the MyHousing portal by mid-June. Housing Assignments for the Spring semester will be available by approximately mid-January. Once you’ve received your housing assignment, you can start to make plans to move in. If certain criteria are met, you may request an exemption from the University Housing Policy.

The Student Housing application is required and includes the opportunity to show interest in our Living Learning Communities and/or roommates. You can access the application within 48 hours of paying your admissions deposit. 

Before beginning the housing application, follow the instructions in your offer of acceptance from SUNY Oswego and the new student checklist on the admissions application portal. Activate your SUNY Oswego email account and Laker Net ID at Laker NetID Activation.

MyHousing portal

Complete the Student Housing Application.
  1. Login to the MyHousing portal.
  2. Select ‘Applications, Agreements, and Forms.’ 
  3. Select 'Student Housing Application.'
Read and sign the Housing and Dining License.
  1. To agree to the terms of the License, provide your electronic signature in the box at the bottom of the page. The License is a binding agreement for the full 2023-24 academic year. 
  2. Select 'Continue.'
Answer the application questions.
  1. Select the appropriate answer to each of the required applications questions. 
  2. Select ‘Continue.’
Select an LLC or Gender-inclusive option.
  1. Indicate any interest in a Living Learning Community (LLC) or gender-inclusive housing on your application. 
  2. Select 'Continue.' A confirmation page will appear, notifying you that your New Student Housing Application has been submitted. 
  3. If you said yes to either interest in an LLC or gender-inclusive housing, return to the MyHousing portal to complete the appropriate agreements.
  4. Students who do not complete the agreement may be reassigned to other housing. Please note that we do our very best to honor your living interests; however, we cannot guarantee our ability to do so.
Submit a roommate request.
  1. Once the Housing Application is completed, return to the MyHousing portal main menu and select 'Room Selection.' 
  2. Go to 'Select Roommates' from the menu, select the Term, and search for your mate using the search field (first and last name). 
  3. New students will be able to request and confirm mates between March 1 and June 10.
  4. Only students who have completed the New Student Housing Application will be able to request or be requested as mates. Please note that mate-matching must be mutual to form a fully matched group. If your requested mate does not request you as their mate, you will not be assigned a room together.
  5. You will not be able to match with mates once you or your mate has been assigned to a room.

Contact Us

303 Culkin Hall


[email protected]